||Room 131 Annenberg Hall, Main Campus
||Wednesday and Thursdays by appointment|
|University of Chicago
||History of Culture
||English (Media & Culture/Theater)
||Cultural & Intellectual History/Filmmaking
|Biographical Information |
|PLEASE VISIT THE RODERICK COOVER FACULTY WEBSITE: http://astro.temple.edu/~rcoover
Roderick Coover is an Associate Professor in the Department of Film and Media Arts. He holds a B.A. from Cornell University (1989), an M.A. in English with a specialization in cross-cultural film and performance from Brown University (1994) and a Ph.D. in the History of Culture with a specialization in media arts and anthropology from the University of Chicago (1999).
His documentary and experimental films and new media works have been featured at festivals, exhibitions, and conferences including at M.I.T's Media In Transition conferences I, II, and IV and at Milwaukee's Center for 20th Century Studies. Coover's papers have been published in journals such as Film Quarterly, Visual Studies, and Visual Anthropology. He presents his work internationally and was the Luso-American Foundation speaker at the European conference Working Images. He was also a plenary speaker at the Whitney Museum-University of Colorado conference, Rethinking the Visual. His awards include a USIA Hays-Fulbright Fellowship, a Whiting Fellowship, a Chicago Group on Modern France Fellowship, and an LEF foundation grant. |
|Publications and Lectures |
• Canyonlands (Interactive) : Edward Abbey In the Great American Desert. 2010. Interactive. Produced with support from the Art Institute of Chicago, Temple University, and the LEF Foundation.
• Det siste utbruddet (The Last Volcano). May 2010. Installation loop video, in Norwegian with English subtitles. Directed by Roderick Coover. Text by Scott Rettberg. (6:10 Mins Loop, HDTV).
• Darwin Panorama Series. Large Panoramic works photographed and filmed in South America. 2009. Painted Bride Gallery, Philadelphia.
• Gerald's Party. 2009. Live multimedia event. Nexus Gallery and Nexus Radio.Voyage Into the Unknown. May 2008. Interactive. Online at http://www.unknownterritories.org. Published in Electronic Literature Collection, Volume 2, edited by Laura Borràs et al. College Park: Electronic Literature Organization, 2010.
• Outside/Inside. 2007-2008. Interactive. Commision for the Museum of the American Philosophical Society. Installation for the exhibition UNDAUNTED: Five American Explorers 1760-2007. American Philosophical Society and Independence Hall National Park joint-exhibition. Funded in part by the Pew Foundation for the Arts. September 2007 - June 2008.
• Something that happened only once. 2007. Animated Panorama. DVD. 23 minutes.
• Vérité to Virtual: Conversations on the Frontier of Visual Anthropology and Documentary Mediamaking. 2007. Documentary Film. DVD. 60 Minutes.
Distributed by Documentary Educational Resources (D.E.R.), Cambridge.
• Currency: Four Experiments in the Video Poem. 2007. Distributed on YouTube. Co-created with writer Nick Monfort.
• The Theory of Time Here. Digital Video. DVD. 7 Minutes. Distributed by The Video Data Bank, Chicago. Date of First Screening: 2006. Date of Publication, 2008.
• The Golden Age. 2005 Made for the 60 Second Story Streaming Video Competition, Contagious Media & Grand Text Auto streaming video competition.
• The Language of Wine: An Anthropology of wine, work and the senses. 2003/2007. 50 Minute DVD. In French with English subtitles. Distributed on Amazon.com by RLC Productions.
• Cultures In Webs: Working in hypermedia with the documentary image. Interactive CD-ROM. Cambridge: Eastgate, 2003. For more information, see http://www.culturesinwebs.com.
• The Harvest. Digital Art Installation. Juried exhibit of the Electronic Literature Organization State of the Arts Symposium, University of California, Los Angeles, 2002.
• Narrative/not narrative and Disc/sound: Digital Art Installation and performance, Electronic Literature Organization Cabaret, Chicago, 2000.
• Portraits And Performance. Digital Art Installation. Exhibition at Knowing Mass Culture/Mediating Knowledge, Center for 20th Century Culture, Milwaukee, 1999.
• Iphigenia Cycle Commissioned Installation. Co-director/editor. 6 videos for JoAnne Akalaitis’ production, Iphegenia Cycle, Court Theater, Chicago 1997, and Circle Reparatory Theater, New York, 1998.
SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS: EDITED BOOKS AND JOURNALS
• Switching Codes: Thinking Through New Technologies In The Humanities And Arts. Edited by Thomas Bartscherer and Roderick Coover. University of Chicago Press, 2011.
• "New Media and Language." Special Edition of NMEDIAC Journal Of New Media And Culture. Edited by Roderick Coover. The edition features articles by Loss Pequeño Glazier, Joseph Tabbi, Ray Federman, Thomas Bartscherer, Larry McCaffrey, Michelle Kendrick, Roderick Coover, Colin Campbell, Shelley Jackson. Fall, 2003.
SCHOLARLY PUBLICATIONS: ESSAYS AND ARTICLES
• "Interactive Media Representation." The SAGE Handbook of Visual Research Methods. Edited by Eric Margolis and Luc Pauwels. London: SAGE Publications, Inc. 2011.
• "The Digital Panorama and Cinemascapes." Switching Codes; Thinking Through Digital Technologies In The Humanities And Arts. Edited by Thomas Bartscherer and Roderick Coover. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 2011: 199-217.
• "Replace: The Embodiment Of Virtual Spaces." Jeffrey Shaw, Sarah Kenderdine, and Roderick Coover. Switching Codes; Thinking Through Digital Technologies In The Humanities And Arts. Edited by Thomas Bartscherer and Roderick Coover. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 2011: 218-237.
• "Desert Intervention." (reprint) Roderick Coover, Hikmet Loe, Larry McCaffery and Lance Newman. Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture. Fall 2010.
• "Interview with Ken Sleight." Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture. Fall 2010.
• "Interview with Jack Loeffler." Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture. Fall 2010.
• "Interview with Jim Stiles". Reconstruction: Studies in Contemporary Culture. Fall 2010.
• "The Digital Panorama In Cultural Representation." ISEA 2010 RUHR Conference Proceedings. Berlin: Revolver Verlag. August, 2010. ISBN 978-86895-103-5.
• A Dialogue about the Desert. Roderick Coover, Larry McCaffery, Lance Newman and Hikmet Loe. Electronic Book Review, 2-2010.
• "On Vérité to Virtual: Conversations on the Frontier of Visual Anthropology and Documentary Mediamaking." Journal of Visual Studies, Fall 2009.
• "Taking A Scroll:Text, Image and the Construction of Meaning in a Digital Panorama". Hyperrhiz: New Media Cultures. Summer 2009.
• "Artifacts: Displacements Of Technological Culture And The Concept Of Foreignness." Media-N Journal. Spring 2009.
• "Le panorama digital et l’image documentaire aujourd’hui : quand la transgression d’un postulat naturaliste crée l’innovation." Ethnographiques, Summer, 2008.
• Interactive Media And The Construction(S) Of Memory In Nonfiction Film." In The Cinema Of Robert Gardner, edited by Ilisa Barbash and Lucien Taylor. Oxford and Gordonsville: Berg Publishers/ Palgrave Macmillan. 2008. ISBN 9781845207731.
• "Peer Behind The Picture Of Desire: Mythmaking In The Marketing Of 'Czech Dreams.' ” In Decode Myths, edited by Gabriel Solomons. Bristol (UK): Intellect Press. July 2007. ISBN 9781841509815. Reprint.
• "Filmmaker To Filmmaker: Robert Gardner And The Cinematic Process" American Anthropologist. September 2007.
• "Politics of the Pomelo: Fighting Censorship In Malaysia." Cineaste Film Journal. June 2007.
• "Touchy Subjects: An interview with Malaysian Filmmaker Amir Muhammad." Cineaste Film Journal. June 2007.
• "Czech Dreams In A Capitalist Republic." Film International. May 2007.
• "DUST, An American Western In The Balkan Wild East; An interview with Milcho Manchevski." Film Quarterly. Winter 2005.
• “Using Digital Tools In Cross-Cultural Research Analysis And Representation.” Journal of Visual Studies, Summer 2004.
• “Working With Images, Images Of Work: Using Digital Interface, Photography, And Hypertext In Ethnography.” In Working Images. Edited By Sarah Pink. London: Routledge, 2004. ISBN: 041530654X.
• “Contexts And Appearances: Using Images And Text In Nonfiction Digital Storytelling.” NMEDIAC On-Line Journal Of New Media And Culture, University of North Carolina Press, Fall 2003.
• “Gardner And Östör: Making Forest Of Bliss." Co-authored with Lucien Taylor. American Anthropologist Centennial Edition, June, 2002.
• "Worldmaking, Metaphors, And Montage In The Representation Of Cultures: Cross-Cultural Filmmaking And The Poetics Of Robert Gardner's Forest Of Bliss," Visual Anthropology 14(4), 2001.
Panel conversation with Roderick Coover, Scott Rettberg and Jennifer Ladino. Films of Roderick Coover, Cinematek, Bergen, 2010.
"Canyonlands and interactive documentary arts", Purple Blurb, MIT, 2010.
"Panoramic Poems, Narratives and Travels." Landmark Cafe and Gallery. Bergen, 2009.
"Artist Talk." Electronic Literature Organization Juried Media Arts Exhibition. Visionary Landscapes: Electronic Literature Organization 2008 Conference Exhibition Space at North Park Gallery, Vancouver, 2008.
"INFO: Screenspace, Panoramas, and the Documentary Image". Artist presentation at SIGGRAPH. San Diego, 2007.
"Artist Lunch Talk." Klein Gallery. In conjunction with the solo exhibition. Panoramas and other circular stories. Philadelphia, 2007.
INVITED SCHOLARLY PRESENTATIONS
"Video And New Media." Delaware Center for the Contemporary Arts, Willington, DE.
"Interdisciplinary research and new technologies: an introduction to Switching Codes." University of Bergen, 2010.
"Pathmaking in the Unknown Territories: Interactive environments as an model for interactive cinema." The network as a space and medium for collaborative interdisciplinary art practices. University of Bergen, 2009.
"On the artifact and the found footage film." Documentary Studies Symposium, Philadelphia Cinema and Media Seminars, 2008.
World In My Streets Colloquium, Temple Gallery, Philadelphia, 2008.
“IRQ.” Interrupt Festival Of Digital Writing. Brown University, Providence, 2008.
"The Digital Panorama and the Cinematic Image: Contiguity, Continuity, and Aesthetics of the Electronic Image." Philadelphia Cinema and Media Seminars, 2008.
"From Verite To Virtual." Space, Time and Image. International Visual Sociology Association Conference, Buenos Aires, 2008. Keynote Address.
"Characters, Paths, and Panoramas; New media tools and the displacements of the cinematic journey." Reel Travel: Displacements of Film. Humanities Forum Symposium, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 2007.
"Ethnographic Voice." Presented at Text, Image And Sound Narrative In All Its Forms: New Technologies, New Questions. University of Neuchatel/University of French-Compte/ Ethnographiques.org Conference, Neuchatel, Switzerland, 2006. Keynote Address.
Mediating Practices: New Directions in Visual Anthropology and Cross-Cultural Mediamaking. Temple University, 2006.
"Two Time-Arts Works: The word in motion". Presented at the Word and Image Humanities Forum. University of Pennsylvania Humanities Institute, University of Pennsylvania, 2005.
American Anthropological Association National Conference: "Present Pasts: Robert Gardner's DVD commentaries on anthropological film, ritual, and the cinematic mimetic." Washington, 2005.
"Exhibiting cultures and the concept of emergence." Temple University STARSS Colloquium. 2005.
"New media and Narrative." American Comparative Literature Association, San Marcos, 2003.
"Documentary Viewpoints In New Media," Temple University, Philadelphia, 2003. GAVA Sponsored Speaker.
"Words, Webs, and Worldmaking: Representing Places Through Hypertext and the Time-Image." Presented at Rethinking The Visual: New Technologies In The Context Of Society And Culture, co-sponsored by the University of Colorado-Boulder and the Whitney Museum, Boulder, 2002. Plenary Speaker.
"Seeking Ambiguity In Images And Hypermedia," Temple University, Philadelphia, 2002. GAVA Sponsored Speaker.
"Working In Hypermedia With The Documentary Image." Presented for the invited session, "Other Histories/Other Media" sponsored by the Society for Visual Anthropology at the American Anthropological Association National Conference, Washington, 2001.
"Visual Evidence And Hypermedia." Presented at Working Images, a conference of the European Association of Social Anthropologists. Lisbon, Portugal, 2001. Luso-American Foundation Speaker.
“Public Performance And Politics In Ghana.” Multimedia presentation at the NACL bi-annual festival of performance, New York, 2001.
REFEREED SCHOLARLY PRESENTATIONS
"Panoramic Navigation, Visual Research, and the Outside/Inside Project at Philadelphia’s Independence National Historic Park." GRID + Flow Symposium, Temple University, Philadelphia, 2011.
"Bridging arts and socials sciences: animated and interactive panoramas in visual research." The Fine International Conference on Gigapixel Imaging for Science, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, 2010.
"Canyonlands: Edward Abbey and the Defense of Wilderness: screening and discussion." Joint presentation with Roderick Coover and Lance Newman. Western Literature Association Conference, Prescott, 2010.
"Visual Research and Digital Representation: Unknown Territories." Panel organizer and paper, IVSA annual conference, Bologna, 2010.
"Narrative Choicemaking," Paper. Electronic Literature Organization Conference. Brown University, 2010.
"The Great Unknown: On Digital Documentary Form And John Wesley Powell's Exploration Of The Colorado River " Media in Transition VI, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 2009.
"Digital Panoramas and Cinemascapes." Visionary Landscapes: Electronic Literature Organization 2008 Conference, Vancouver, Washington, 2008.
"Narrative In 360˚ Panoramic Environments And The Temporal Ontologies Project." National Conference of the North American Media Alliance (NAMAC), Taking Liberties: Philadelphia, 2005.
"The narratives of nonfiction in new media and the concept of emergence." Media in Transition IV, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005.
"Cultures In Webs." Poster Session. American Anthropological Association National Conference. November, 2003.
"Working In Webs." Presented at Media in Transition II. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2002.
"Digital Arts And The Cross-Cultural Image." Presented at Digital Arts Conference III. Brown University, Providence, 2001.
"Concealed Narratives Of A Ghanaian Festival." Presented at The Society for Visual Anthropology National Conference. San Francisco, 2000.
"What's In A Clip?" Presented at From Today: Conference of Documentary Film and New Media. Brown University, 2000.
“The Rhetorics Of Montage, Hypermedia, And The Ethnographic Image.” Presented at Knowing Mass Culture/Mediating Knowledge. Center for Twentieth Century Culture, Milwaukee, 1999.
“Visualizing Cultures In The Age Of Digital Media.” Presented at Digital Arts Conference I. Atlanta,1999.
“Rhetoric Of Montage And The Ethnographic Image.” Presented at Media in Transition I. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 1999.
“Negotiating Borders And The Meanings Of Performance.” Presented at the African Studies Association National Meetings. San Francisco, 1996.
||Journal or Publication